Tuesday, October 12, 2010

...and the Beat goes on

Sometimes the sound of the drum is BANG, BANG, BANGITY BANG and other times it's PA RUMPA PUMM PUMM, but still, the beat goes on.

Just like the journey of our lives, a lot things can happen in five months... let's see, our grandson, Leonardo - at 2 years 10 months old is totally talking up a storm; Jenna, our daughter is pregnant again and we found out only hours ago that she and Sam are going to have a daughter this time, (her name is Tesla); and Rachel, our oldest daughter gave birth to a little sweetheart of a girl on July 7, 2010. She and Trevor named our first granddaughter Vida LaRue Lincoln. (after both maternal grandmothers). Believe me, going from ONE grandchild to the idea of THREE is as much of a rush as 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat. We are truly blessed.

In addition to the grandkids, I'm excited to see that our 'kids' are growing significantly in the spiritual dimension. Bear with me for just a moment... I'm not preaching - I'm opening up my heart for you. Many people over the years have asked me this question: "How can a loving God let bad things happen to people?" My response is, "I believe God allows really tough situations in our lives, to bring us to a point where we have to decide: 'Am I going to humbly trust God - or dig in my heels and curse Him."

It's not always about US. God allows things to happen in our lives that are catalysts for the people around us, too, so they can see Jesus in us. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I believe God wants us to trust Him, but He won't force that relationship. It's only good when we choose to trust him. He won't make us love him - and he'll allow us to turn our backs on Him if we so choose. I have found that it's really only through the tough and painful situations that we reach a point where we call out to Him. When we do, He shows up.

IMHO, that's not the only reason bad things happen (that 4th dimension can really get complicated), but sometimes it seems the more stubborn we are, the tougher things can get... and it can get pretty ugly sometimes.

Talk about ugly, the same month Rachel delivered little Vida, Rachel was diagnosed with a rare cancer called Lipo Sarcoma. There are other names, too, but you'll have to go to Rachel's blog to find out exactly what they are... (www.RaRasEveryday.blogspot.com) A large tumor was removed successfully, another one on her uterus miraculously disappeared, and right now, she's in the middle of a battle - facing radiation and chemotherapy.

With all this activity going on, My Parkinson's situation has taken a back burner position for the past couple of months. I'll share that with you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! And isn't it nice that your PD is on the back burner for a second??? I know you struggle with it, so I am not trying to downplay it, but sometimes a distraction is kinda nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, dad. I can say that your perspective on how God works has been consistent throughout the course of our lives. Thank you for that, as it created a sound foundation for us to base our own opinions, and face those tough situations with a right mind to "humbly trust Him".

    ReplyDelete