Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Miracles DO Happen!

The fact that I'm posting again within a week is truly (well, kinda) a miracle...

Actually, I wanted to pick up where I left off:

Q4) How does DBS work?
A4) 
A battery-pack (impulse generator or IPG) was surgically placed under the skin beneath my collarbone. The 2 wires from the IPG are threaded together up the side of my neck and continue to the top of my head where they split off and connect to the 2 'Leads'.  (I had bilateral DBS-both sides - so the IPG feeds both.) The leads are wires, each containing 4 electrodes, which were strategically placed with the help of GPS signals (yes - really!) into a kidney-bean-sized structure deep in my brain called.... the Substantia Nigra.  Specific 'voltages' (from the IPG) are applied in milliamps to various combinations of electrodes to get varying results. Too much voltage can cause localized 'pins & needles pain' -  or a number of other unpleasant side effects. BUT.... just the right amount can optimize tremor and other symptoms.  All the wires on the outside are tunneled under the skin - so most people never even notice - unless I point them out.  That's amazing, considering I'm bald.  I guess people just think I have a bumpy head!

Q5) Do you have any negative side-effects?
A5) Yes, I do.
When I had my first neuropsych test before surgery, the doc asked me this question: "If you had the choice between being able to speak clearly, OR get rid of your tremor, which would you choose?" My response was, "Do I have to choose?" "Well," he answered, "there is a 60% chance of the surgery affecting your speech center in a negative way."

My answer to him was, "most of my life, I've been on stage - entertaining people with my voice. If those days are over, no problem. As long as I can play with my grandkids and hold them close, it doesn't matter if my speech is affected."

Today, I can play and intract with Leo, Vida and Tesla. Unfortunately, I cannot carry a normal conversation - even with my wife. The grandkids are too young to notice..... yet. But I must admit that Leo (almost 4 years old and going on 14) looks at me very strangely when my words get all confused. We're working on that. It a long, long road.

That said, however, I'd have DBS surgery again in a heartbeat - even with the speech challenge.

Q6) Why doesn't Michael J. Fox have this surgery?
A6) I don't know the answer to that question. He may not be a candidate because of prior surgeries performed. I'm only guessing at this point.

Q7) Is DBS reversible?
A7) Yes! When a cure is found, I'll turn my system off with no regrets.

As Porky Pig used to say, "That's all Folks!" at least for today.
I'll process more Q & A when I've recover from this round of typing.

Popeye put it more succinctly, "I've had all I can stanz ...... and I can't stanz no more." (the backspace key, that is.)

It's a great day. :-)

Kenny Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment