Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Better"


  
My dad passed away four years ago.  I remember vividly, when we'd ask him how he was doing, he'd almost always say, "better!"   Now it's my turn to carry that torch. 

Let me explain...

When people watch some of my videos or they read from this blog, then see me in person, they typically say, "hey, you're lookin' good!"  In many cases, I think they expected to see a decline in my physical appearance and ability because of the disease. 

Others, after spending time with me, have the opposite reaction - if they're honest.  Usually these people are individuals who have Parkinson's and are hoping that DBS has totally cured me of all symptoms.  They'll remark something like this.  "Man, I was hoping you'd be doing better than you are.  Your balance isn't too good, and you speech is pretty bad."  At which point I can only shrug my shoulders and nod my head in agreement.

Why am I telling you this?  Because if you have PD and are considering DBS, I want you to know the truth.   I'm doing BETTER!  Better than I'd be without it.  And if I had to do it all over, 

I would do it again - no question.

It's easy to forget how things were and think that the irritations I'm experiencing today are bad.  But in reality, without DBS, it would probably be intolerable.  I  remember the incessant shaking of my right hand, and the accompanying ache - it about made me crazy.  After almost four years of cover-up with implanted electrodes, I've almost forgotten what that was like.

The bottom line:  Don't fear this procedure.  It will bring a sense of normalcy into your life.

As for me...I'm doing "BETTER!"

1 comment:

  1. that's why I like you so much - you've always been a "The glass is half-full kind of guy". Keep gettin' 'better'!

    ReplyDelete